Thursday, March 10, 2011

Inpatient Again

The volunteer that showed up to help feed her while I left for a few minutes was a good looking young guy. My little flirt ate almost everything for him.
Sometimes it is a blessing to have nurses to help clean her up!

I wanted to write every night and I already messed up! In all fairness, Tuesday & Wednesday were really busy. Abigail had been awful on Mon night/Tues. morning. She was up most of the night hitting me every 20-30 min. for a drink of water and filling 4 diapers in 1 night. I finally called the clinic when I saw the condition of her diaper area--it looked awful. When I called the clinic they wanted her to go to the children's hospital right away. I should have packed a bag but I was still thinking that Abigail was my normal little girl. OOPS!

I knew within a few minutes that she was being admitted. Her yeast infection had gone wild due to the massive antibiotics she had taken and she had severe thrush in her mouth. The worst was the side effect of the steroids given with the chemo. They have turned her into a diabetic. Normal glucose levels should be somewhere in the 90-125 range. Her glucose was 639 when she was admitted. Every day for the rest of the month, she will get a minimum of 5 finger pricks and 5 glucose shots. It's killing me to see her fingers & toes so black & blue. Because her body doesn't have the ability to clot really well a tiny prick turns into a big ol' bruise. Her little legs look like she's a heroine addict and it hurts me just to look.

The great thing is that it doesn't seem to bother her that much. She hates the pricks and cries when she sees it coming but she forgets quickly and is easily distracted. So really, the only one struggling is ME:) I will have to give the shots at home and I am not looking forward to it. Fortunately, the nurses will still be giving them for a while. Her blood sugar is terribly erratic and they are having a hard time controlling it. That, plus her incredibly low blood scores making her open to any illness, are keeping her in here. We have even arranged to have family photos in a hospital conference room. Any port in a storm, right?

Today I took the boys to the hospital kid's area and ran into a good friend from Michigan. It was so great to see her again. It has been almost 2 years. It really brightened my day. She is always such a happy person. It helped me to rise out of the slump I was in. I feel like I am abusing my little girl lately. There is no way to explain my "the end justifies the means" view to her. She doesn't understand why people are messing with her and hurting her--and her mom holds her down for it. I wish there was a way to help her to understand what her parents are fighting for. We want more years of antics & teasing from her. She has been such a fun part of our family. Tonight while we were watching "Finding Nemo" together she stole the remote from me and hid it behind her back. I loved that she was feeling like the fiesty little stinker we have been missing for the last 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. What a good reminder for others like myself - maybe it would be a good idea for me to try to 'journal' a couple nights a week even if it's for my eyes only. There are events in our lives (not as challenging) but events none-the-less that might mean something later. If nothing else I could express my gratitude more than once. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete