Friday, June 1, 2012


I got so busy that I forgot to report what happened after my previous post.  Natasha ended up in the hospital for 5 days.  Every day the plan changed.  From the beginning the thoughts of the doctors differed.  One told us that she could be infected with a serious bacteria and that her port (surgical line with access to her blood vessels) would need to be removed.  Another told us that it was probably just contamination and that it was no big deal.  Nevertheless, we had to stay in the hospital and just wait on the lab results.  I thought a hospital stay would be easier if the child was feeling better, but I was wrong.  Trying to entertain Natasha was so hard!  She felt OK and her numbers were good so she didn't want to just sit in a bed. Abigail came up some of the time to help entertain but it was stretching my abilities.   
 I managed to convince the doctors to let me take her to the hospital play room.  What a blessing! She had to wear a mask but it saved us both from frustration.
 After a week of ups and downs we still had no answers.  We only knew what antibiotic was working best on the bacteria.  Ironically, it was the one that she got the first night we took her to the E.R.  We were finally released with a week of at home IV antibiotics.  Whew!  Dodged a bullet!