Thursday, April 19, 2012


We actually had a first last night.  When Natasha was in the ER on the 17th they drew blood cultures like they do every time.  She got antibiotics that last for 24 hours.  we just need to make sure that she does not have a fever again after the 24 hours is up or we have to go back to the ER for more.  Needless to say, we were delighted when, on the 18th, there was no fever after 10 pm.  Unfortunately, a good night sleep was not in the cards for us. 

About 12:30 I heard my phone go off. My ringtone for the children's hospital is "how to save a life",  so at first I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or if my phone was actually ringing.  When I got up I had missed the call, but I called back and spoke to the ER doctor.  Her blood cultures from the night before had grown out with "gram + rods".  That's hospital talk for "bad news, come in right away". We threw a bag in the car and then added Natasha.  It was one of those long panicky drives that I hate.  Josh stayed with the kids so I was alone with that "what if" fear that comes from having a kid with cancer. 

Upon arrival, we went straight up to the cancer wing where they were waiting for us.  We were admitted immediately and her port was accessed and filled with antibiotics.  When we finally got to sleep we just crashed.  This morning she is still fever free and has a ton of energy.  You would never know she was sick.  Her blood levels look great but her output is lacking.  Hopefully we will be out by tonight or tomorrow.  Fingers crossed...

Tuesday, April 17, 2012


Between both of our girls we have probably been to the emergency department at the children's hospital 30+ times this last year.  We are instructed to bring them up every time there is a fever of 100.4 or more.   We know the routine so well that we know what drugs they will give and what will happen depending on the lab results. 

so here we are on the 17th of april with our little tasha who ran a fever of 102.7. of course we rarely run said fevers until after 8 pm. so here she is at midnight trying to sleep while they are giving her antibiotics. I can't wait until the cancer treatments are over and I don't have to rush to the children's hospital every time there's a fever.

Thursday, April 12, 2012


We just started a new course called interim maintenance.  It's rough, but still a step down from our last phase.  We started today with a lumbar puncture  which is when they put her under and add chemo to her spinal fluid.  She's had about 12 of these so I wasn't too worried.  The anesthesiologist did give her a drug we haven't had before and she reacted horribly!  She got really restless and nauseated.  It's taken a lot of zophran and some begging to get her to eat but she finally did.  I am so grateful that our children's hospital is so good to let them order whatever they want-- even if they're outpatient.

Friday, April 6, 2012


I am so excited because I got to give all 3 of my little ones a bath today.  Due to infection or possible infection, Natasha has been accessed (her port still has the needle in at all times) and getting antibiotics for almost 2 full weeks.  Somehow a sponge bath never makes me feel like she's very clean.  I never thought I would be this grateful for an ANC  of 600.  She had a 0 for a week.  We are so glad that she finally has some immunity.